In which we discuss,
Along with, among other things:
THE YELLOW VOLUME, the fundraising anthology put out by Emma and I and the rest of our 2012 Clarion Workshop class. Pay what you want, $0 to $Infinity, with all money going to support the Clarion Workshop.
EG's comic debut, in Shelf Heroes: Issue E, in which she illustrates that one time she went to see Eddie the Eagle with her mum and also life and stuff.
Filmy Type Things
- The Pallbearer
- The Lobster
- The Shawshank Redemption
- The Dark Crystal
- Doctor Who, and the Doctor’s radical hope.
- Death House by Sarah Pinborough
- Uprooted by Naomi Novik
- The Starlit Wood, edited by Dominik Parisien & Navah Wolfe
- A Song of Ice and Fire
- A Day in the Life of Half of Rumplestiltskin by Kevin Brockmeier
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humanity by Yuval Noah Harari
- George Saunders, and finding the right details
In which we discuss...
along with, among other things,
- Two nursery rhymes from which, in part, “Wednesday’s Story” comes…
- Author Spotlight: Wole Talabi, by Christie Yant.
- Aesop's fables.
- October in the Chair by Neil Gaiman.
- Trapped in narratives
- “A people trapped in narratives and memories : facing pacification in the Great Lakes Region of Africa” by Tshimba David Ngendo
People are trapped in history and history is trapped in them. ~James Baldwin
- Devin Faraci. “Fandom is Broken”
- The ending of Jay and Silent Bob
- Some writing in response to Devin’s writing
- Michael Knight
- Why does Salinger’s Catcher in the Rye still resonate?
- Diary of a Teenage Girl
In which we discuss
along with, among other things...
- Last week’s podcast with “Hwang’s Billion Brilliant Daughters” and “The Husband Stitch”
- Jane Austen
- Literary monsters
- Terry Pratchett isn’t jolly. He’s angry.
- “I Shall Wear Midnight”
- Food, Glorious Food
- Will, in The Subtle Knife
- Sam J. Miller’s, “Clarion 2012: Every Brilliant Piece of Writing Advice”, including, among other things, start with the goosebumps
- Flowers in the Attic
- “Solitude and the Fortresses of Youth” by Michael Chabon
- I Kill Giants
- Holly Black, in an interview with To the Best of our Knowledge talking about literalizing feelings.
- Chesterton on fairy tales
- Gaiman paraphrasing Chesterton
- Ending of Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail