In which we discuss,
1. “Vox Clamantis in Deserto” by Curtis Sittenfeld, You Think It, I’ll Say It, Random House, 2018.
2. “The Empty, The Empty, The Empty” by Jenny Zhang, Diagram, Vol. 9.4, 2009. (read online)
along with, among other things…
- Yuja Wang. Because we got to see her perform at the Barbican.
- The essay David Foster Wallace wrote about Roger Federer.
- Reading interviews with writers, and other sorts of artists, in the hopes of figuring out what it means to be an artist
- Episode 1.18 in which we talked about one of Alan Bennet’s Talking Heads stories called “Bed Among the Lentils”.
- Episode 3.01 in which we talked about that “Cat Person” by Kristen Roupenian.
- Pocket Interview No. 8 in which we talked with Alyssa Wong.
- Ulysses by James Joyce
- Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
- The stories of George Saunders. We talked about one of those in that episode where we talked about that one Alan Bennet’s story.
- The films of John Hughes. Chris was probably thinking about the films of John Hughes because he wrote this review of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.
- The difference between the right word and the wrong word.
If you enjoyed this episode, two things.
1) Check out our Patreon page where you can support us in our mission to talk about all of the things about all of the stories. Any pledge gets you access to our patron-only feed wherein stuff. Also. If you pledge $3 a month, you can get Chris' monthly newsletter in which he reviews, more or less, everything.
2) Consider leaving us a review on Apple Podcasts. It helps more readers find their way to our sound space. Which is cool.
Thanks for listening.