In which we discuss,
along with, among other things…
Things of an otherwise nature
- “Chivalry” by Neil Gaiman, read here by LeVar Burton in his podcast LeVar Burton Reads
- “The Bog Girl” by Karen Russell, discussed on Storyological here.
- The Fellowship of the Ring, in which Gandalf says: “Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death and judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.”
- Murakami on withholding judgement: “I think that my job is to observe people and the world, and not to judge them. I always hope to position myself away from so-called conclusions. I would like to leave everything wide open to all the possibilities in the world.”
- That episode where I quoted, at length, from “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea” by Neutral Milk Hotel.
- “Sea Oak” by George Saunders, the one with the Aunt (also in Barcelona Review)
- That one song from The National called “Demons” in which the words: “I am secretly in love with everyone I grew up with”
- Radiohead’s, OK Computer
- Monty Hall, Let’s Make a Deal (“the middle one is clearly the door with the car behind it”)
If you enjoyed this episode, two things.
1) Check out our Patreon page where you can support us in our mission to talk about all of the things about all of the stories. Any pledge gets you access to our patron-only feed wherein stuff. Also. If you pledge $3 a month, you can get Chris' monthly newsletter in which he reviews everything.
2) Consider leaving us a review on Apple Podcasts. It helps more readers find their way to our sound space. Which is cool.
Thanks for listening.